Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Getting Crafty With It....nanananananana (shout out to Will Smith!!)

Hailey and I embarked on an adventure to the big city of Cleveland yesterday. After a late lunch at Chili's (strawberry lemonade and chicken fajitas...yum!), we did some shopping at Target (lots of money out of my pocket, but new sparkly shoes for my feet and the new "Glee" soundtrack!) and various other places ($5 Bible at Lifeway...YES!), and we made a quick stop at Cupcake Divas for a couple of cupcakes (wish you were with us, Kate!) I had told Hailey earlier in the day that I wanted to make a rag wreath. Several of my friends and my sister had made some over the last few weeks, and I thought they were so cute. Hailey was up for the challenge, so we made a stop by the holy grail of crafty places...Hobby Lobby.

To make a rag wreath, you've got to have the following:

  • Approximately 1 1/2 yards of fabric (I used 1/2 yard each of three different patterns)
  • 1 wire wreath
  • ribbon

Here are the three fabrics that I chose:



You need to cut your fabric in to 8" by 1 1/2" strips. Hailey and I found that if you double up the fabric, the cutting went a lot easier! We also cut our strips a little shorter than 8". I think ours were about 6 1/2 due to the overall width of our fabric.



My fabric was in a nice, neat pile while Hal's was just laid out haphazardly on the table. I'm usually never the organized one between the two of us! Weird!



After all of your fabric is cut, all you have to do is start tying it to your wire wreath. We went with a fairly large wreath, about 15" in diameter, but you could go with whatever size you want.



Beginning to take shape!!


Hal works a bit faster than me. I'm too....something.

Here is my *almost* finished rag wreath. I ended up running out of fabric. If you're like me and maybe have a touch of OCD and like for every wire to have the same amount of fabric on them, you might want to get a bit more fabric to begin with.



Hailey ended up getting her's completed, and it looks awesome!



This project was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to get back to Hobby Lobby to get some more fabric to finish my wreath! (I'll post a picture when it's finished.) If you want one of these wreaths, but don't feel like making one yourself, come look for me and Hailey at the craft fair in October! We're thinking of setting up a booth! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment